Cocos MPA fails to be enacted
National Geographic reports that the 4,000-square-mile expansion of the marine protected area (MPA) around the extraordinarily biodiverse waters of Cocos Island National Park committed to by former Costa Rican President Luis Guillermo Solís failed to be enacted. The report states that this was due to pressure from local fishing interests.
Tutorial: Removing Chromatic Aberration in Lightroom
Lightroom expert and photographer Scott Kelby has posted a quick video tutorial about using Lightroom’s manual chromatic aberration (CA) tools. As underwater photographers, shooting through both flat and some ports can cause significant CA, yet few photographer venture into Lightroom’s manual correction tools. As his tutorial shows, they are very simple to use.
Fantasea-AOI UWL-09 PRO wide angle lens is available
Ikelite announces RC1 TTL receiver
Jason deCaires Taylor opens Coralarium in the Maldives
Underwater sculptor Jason deCaires Taylor has opened a new exhibit in the Maldives that contains 30 coral covered structures. Coralarium is located at the Fairmont Maldives Sirru Fen Fushi. The structure is accessible to visitors via a long pool and consists of casts of local Maldivians. In addition to a living stag horn coral path, the exhibit is seeded with coral to promote new growth as well as peppered with dead coral fragments.
Film: Forest of the Sea by Howard Hall
Nauticam ships housing for Sony RX100 Mark VI
Nauticam are shipping their NA-RX100VI housing for the Sony RX100 VI compact camera. In a departure from their previous RX100 housings, it features Nauticam’s N50 interchangeable port system. Other key details include a fiber optic flash bulkhead and compatibility with SMC macro conversion lenses. With the SMC-2 and the the cameras lens racked out to 200mm, the image area is 7mm, with a working distance of 35mm
Surf photographer Ben Thouard releases new book Surface
Surf photographer Ben Thouard has released a book title Surface. The book is a collection of underwater images he has shot just below the surface of waves in Tahiti where he has spent the last 10 years. ROAM has profiled Thouard in an interview and stunning promotional video for just in time for the release of the book.
- A $3 million camera (via )
- The ocean’s most efficient jet engine is the chambered… (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX-D to version 1.4.7 (via )
- Nikon updates D500 Distortion Control Data to Version 2.017 (via )
- Nikon updates D500 “C” firmware to version 1.14 (via )
- New population of world’s rarest fish found of Tasmania (via )
- Cuttlefish, master of camouflage, reveals a new trick (via )
- Insecto photographers seeks millions of dollars from pest… (via )
- Google removes “view image” button in image search to protect… (via )
- What National Geographic photo editors actually do (via )